September 29, 2010

The Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelfth Days


"Who doesn't love a compliment? But every compliment comes with a warning: Beware—Do Not Overuse. Go ahead, sniff your compliment. Take a little sip. But don't chew, don't swallow. 
If you do, you risk abandoning the good work that inspired the compliment in the first place.
If that happens, maybe it was the compliment 
and not the job well done that you were aiming for all along." 




 Jerry Spinelli

(Day 10 → Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.



I have nothing to say about this- if someone is in my life, it's for a reason. 


So I am skipping Day 10 and moving forward.)



Day 11 → Something people seem to compliment you the most on.



Day 12 → Something you never get compliments on.

Compliments. Hmm. I suppose, like most people, they usually revolve around my looks- I don't have very much talent or some amazing skill, so people tend to judge on what they see. There isn't much to go on with that either, but I probably get the most compliments on my eyes. People who look closely at them know that they aren't just blue or green, but they are a little multidimensional. There is a little ring of yellow that makes my pupil look a bit like the center of a sunflower. Everyone thinks their eyes are unique and beautiful, though. But if something is said about my looks, whether from a stranger or a boyfriend, that is usually where it tends to go. I used to get compliments on my thinness, and I have gotten a few about losing my baby weight so quickly, but because those people have not seen me in a bikini recently, they are sadly mistaken.

What I never get compliments on? That list is much longer. No one likes my hair, including myself. In high school, there were certain girls who always got compliments on their hair, but no one has ever wanted to trade me for mine. I don't blame them. I also never get compliments on my nose. I guess most people probably don't, but since I hate mine with a passion, the lack of mention is all the more obvious. It's a horrible, bumpy, ugly nose that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy...well, possibly on them, but not on anyone I like at all.

My favorite compliment? Being told that people read what I write. Anyone can have nice eyes- there was not any effort on my part. But for someone to tell me that they like a blog post or poem? My day is made. It means someone admires a thought or concept I have, a bit of myself, and that is much more meaningful than thinking my sweater is pretty.

Of course, you can tell me you like my sweater, too.

0 kind comments from you:

Post a Comment