October 19, 2011

Emergency Room

This past week has been a rough one at our house. It started as a sore throat, but grew into a huge sneezing, headache, no appetite, achy bug. All three of us have been lazy, spending the days wrapped up in blankets and wiping our noses. And a couple nights ago, it got even worse.

Millie had been fighting it, too. We were running the humidifier in her room, were giving her Tylenol, and made sure she was getting plenty of fluids. But one night, she woke up crying. We weren't able to calm her down, so we brought her to the couch. Sky laid her across his chest and stroked her back, and she kept very still (which never happens). Her sobs got louder and more urgent, and her whole body became rigid as she screamed and cried. Sky and I looked at each other. "Should we take her to the ER?" I asked him. He nodded right away.

As I picked her up and tried to hush her, I began crying, too. Maybe it was just the exhaustion of the last few nights, but it felt like everything in me was spilling open. I felt so helpless not being able to make her better. But Sky urged me to get ready, so we grabbed the keys and opened the door to the chilly night air. I sat next to Millie in the backseat, and she calmed down enough to watch me in silence, her face fixed in a stony, serious expression.

There was no wait in the emergency room, so we headed to an exam room while Sky parked the car. The nurses smiled at Millie and she grinned back as if it were a grand adventure. "I promise you that she was hysterical just a few minutes ago," I told the nurses. They smiled and nodded, saying it happens all the time. After a quick checkup, it was determined she didn't have an ear infection (what we started to suspect)- just the same thing that Sky and I had the past week. They applauded us for the Tylenol, reminded us to keep doing what we'd already done, and we were sent on our way back home.

Millie fell asleep right away once she was back in her crib, and Sky and I returned to our usual spots on the love seat to finish a movie before walking past the vitamin C bottles and heading to bed. As we pulled the covers up under our chins, I said, as if discovering a new truth, "I love you." It felt like a confession. "I love you." The weariness we both felt turned everything a little desperate, and I choked back more tears. There have been so many, many times in our marriage that we haven't been on each other's sides, that we've been enemies who fight against each other with all our strength. And it felt so nice that night to not have the energy for fighting, and to fall back into each other, fighting together towards a common goal instead. I thanked him for driving us to the ER, and he thanked me for thinking we should go.

I don't remember what we said before we finally fell asleep and left the day behind. But the next morning, I found a note from him- a rare note, in his handwriting, reassuring me he'd be home from work soon. And the best part was that it was reassuring.

10 kind comments from you:

Chantal said...

Poor baby!! It's always scary to have to go to the ER.

Fran said...

Oh no! poor baby - I hope she's doing better. I'n glad you feel like you and Sky are on the same team :)

Skinnie Piggie said...

I'm glad Millie is okay... I'm sorry you had to go to the ER, but I am glad it reassured you that you and Sky are working together =)

Kaylee said...

Going to the ER elicited some of the same responses in me - it's so hard feeling so helpless and not knowing what to do anymore! I am so glad that you all are feeling better (?!) and that a challenging situation was turned into good.

Amanda said...

You poor thing! What a rough week! And poor Millie!!! I hope you all feel wayyyyy better asap!!

Michelle said...

Seriously, what a hard week. I can't imagine what you guys were going through in the ER, but I'm glad that you've clung to each other and worked together. I'm proud of you and Sky. I hope you all start feeling better very soon.

Jillian said...

awww I'm glad little Millie is going to be alright. The baby I nanny for was sick a few weeks ago (thus getting me sick) and it was a hard time for both of us. I think you did the right thing by getting her checked out. I'm also happy it brought the two of you closer together. Feel better soon! xo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad she's okay! Such a scary thing taking them into the ER.

And I'm SO happy for you and Sky. Seriously.

The New Normal said...

So scary having to take your baby to the ER! Those emotions of feeling helpless and terrified are so powerful. I'm glad that you and Sky had each other to cling to. You are such good parents. Hope that everyone has gotten back to feeling better!

beka said...

i've never been to the ER, but i know that it's sad and freaky sometimes to be with a little one who's sick and won't calm down. :(

so glad the evening ended peaceful....
your last paragraph had me choking up.

[and yeah, i finally got around to reading this post! i'm sooo backed up/behind on reading certain posts! argh.]

Post a Comment