November 6, 2011

In the Army Now

"Some day our questions will be answers and we’ll be caught in something so bright..." — Richard Bach
(To answer a question I've gotten: we were an Army National Guard family- now, Sky's joined the Army Reserves.) 

The way it all happened was simple. Sky drove from work to the big, brick armory, calling me on the way. I asked him to at least send me a text when they gave him an answer, and he promised.

The text buzzed on my phone about an hour later. It said, simply, "Yes." Yes.

I exhaled into a smile, and willed myself not to cry. I clapped Millie's hands together, and said, "Daddy's in the Army again. We're so very proud of him!" She looked at me, amused but oblivious.

When he came home, he told me how the commander had asked him which MOS (job) he had chosen. He asked if Sky had a wife and kids, and if they would be able to handle him being gone at school so long. He asked if he was going to be able to pass his PT this time around. And then, the commander said yes. Sky sat at the industrial office desk, signed a few papers that had been readied for him, and was told he'll be getting official orders- an envelope with good news this time.

There are so many miracles in it all, and so many things that fell perfectly into place. Sky was also offered a new job this weekend. It was from a company who wanted to hire him before, but couldn't pay him equal to what he already made. But they called him again, offering him the same job he does now, but with a $1.25 an hour raise. He'll now be working under a younger boss who used to be an active Army soldier, and who would probably be much more understanding of Sky's long absence for school. After months and months of looking through the classifieds at the same handful of jobs, this was unexpected and wonderful news. In effect, two new jobs in one weekend.

And I'm ready- for the stacks of worn uniforms to be pulled out of his closet, and replaced by stiff, unfaded ones that haven't seen Afghanistan's heat. I'm ready to see the new orders from a decision that I was able to be a part of this time. I'm ready to see him leave for drills in the morning, hear his boots thumping through the kitchen and out the door, because I'll see him walking back in at night instead of staying in a hotel room hours away. I'm even ready to see him leave for school, because I do believe absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I look forward to our reunion. I'm ready to feel the flush of pride on my cheeks when I tell people that my husband is serving, because it's something so few women are able to say. I don't even think I can explain to Sky what an honor that is.

And that night, when the ink from his signature on all the forms had dried, and, for a while, there were no more decisions to be made, I laid my head in the crook of his arm and reflected on it all.

It was lovely saying goodnight to a soldier again.

15 kind comments from you:

Paulena B. said...

I am so happy for your family. I am very proud of Sky for pursuing his passion. How wonderful!

Unknown said...

I'm super happy for you guys :)

Anonymous said...

You gave me goosebumps girly, beautifully written (you're very talented with your words). So happy for all of you.
mj.x

Jane said...

Yaaay! I am so happy for you all.

Mommy McD said...

So incredibly exciting! I feel giddy for you!

Kaylee said...

My heart is so glad for your family! Praise God!

greaterexp said...

I don't understand how you can convey feelings so well, but you do it again and again. We're so proud of Sky! I can't tell you how proud we are of you. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Ashley S. said...

Congratulations. So happy for you and your family :)

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. I'm so,so,SO happy for you guys!

Chantal said...

Two jobs in one weekend! Yay!

The New Normal said...

Wow! Two new jobs! What an incredible weekend and awesome blessings! So happy for your family! :)

Nicole Marie said...

Very happy for you and your family :)

beka said...

my favorite part [sorry, i do this a lot]:
"I'm ready to see him leave for drills in the morning, hear his boots thumping through the kitchen and out the door, because I'll see him walking back in at night instead of staying in a hotel room hours away."

congratulations, erika [and sky!]:)

JennyTheBeatBoxer said...

God is good. And you always make me cry!

____j said...

I am so, so excited for your family!

Post a Comment