November 30, 2011

The Spark

(modeling her winter clothes)
I never thought about the little things. I assumed they came without ceremony, and that no one actually noticed or witnessed them. And maybe some of them do flutter away like that- but not this one.

The house was quiet- oddly quiet. Sky was at work, and Millie hadn't followed me from room to room like she usually does. My calls for her were left unanswered. I went to the doorway of her bedroom and tilted my head inside. She had pulled all of her blankets through the bars of the crib into a pile on the floor, and was laying across them, tucking her favorite one under her arm. She smiled when she noticed I was standing there.

I sat down and leaned against her dresser, and she hopped towards me. She put a yellow knitted afghan over my legs, and said, "Shh." in a comforting, soft tone. And I closed my eyes obediently and thought to myself, there it is. There is the spark. In that swift but piercing moment, Millie found her imagination. 

When I would rub a hand over my belly and imagine her, I imagined big things- her first words, her first steps. I even thought about her first time in the snow. I never considered the little parts of it all, like teaching her to use a spoon, or the first time she would know what was coming in a story before I read it. Or her imagination blooming in front of me. 

And I think some of the greatest gifts have been those I didn't know I was getting.

14 kind comments from you:

Consider The Lilies said...

so beautiful. what an amazing moment to witness <3

Melissa said...

what a beautiful moment :)

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

It's amazing when they finally find their imagination. I found myself reminiscing about my own childhood as I read this just like I do when my daughter begs me to be the evil stepmother to her Cinderella and to have tea parties with her. The fun has just begun, my friend :)

Snoopy's Sweetheart said...

Chills. :)

Katie said...

This is beautiful :) Your little girl is adorable.

Thisisme. said...

Beautiful post, and what a truly lovely moment for you to witness!

Kaylee said...

So, so true. What a precious moment.

Holly said...

Thank is so wonderful Erika!

beka said...

ahhh my.
*melting*

gina said...

the sweetest and best gifts are usually the unexpected, especially the ones from our children.
sweet contemplating beauty moment...!

Chantal said...

So sweet :)

charla beth said...

gosh, that made my heart melt. what a darling daughter you have there, miss erika. :)

Allie said...

I absolutely love this entry. Love.

Post a Comment