September 18, 2012

28

source
Today, the air is filled with the intoxicating smells of autumn-piles of leaves making puffs of smoke, and the cool breeze carrying it softly through the open windows. There are corn and soybean fields turning the shade of yellow that means big combines will be out to harvest soon. Caramel apples, cider, and pumpkins are piling up high on the store shelves. Hay is being rolled into large bales in otherwise large stretches of empty ground. The nights are coming a little earlier and growing a bit colder. The mornings are taking a little longer to wake us up.

It's September. And today, it's my birthday.

And I love it- the whole season, and this day, too. Some people have told me they like spring the best, because there are so many new things. But autumn has always been my favorite, because there are new things now, too. There are those first days of throwing open every window in the house. It's a time to push through to the back of closets and find those cozy blankets we love or the pajamas we haven't worn for months. It's buying new boots or a warm sweater. It's hayrides and bonfires, hot cider and leaves like confetti everywhere, colored in the most beautiful golds and reds you've ever seen. 

September may be the closing of summer, but it's the beginning of fall. It's the time of year where the clock flips one more number for me, and I practice saying a new age when I'm asked. It's a year full of things I haven't done or said, and there are possibilities I don't even know of yet. 

In some ways, I'm not where I hoped to be at 28 years old. But in other ways- the ways that matter most- I'm exactly where I hoped to be. Though I (hopefully) have many more birthdays ahead, I can be thankful for what I hold in my hands as I greet this year- a marriage that has prevailed through more than a lot of people could handle. An incredibly handsome husband who loves me. A picture perfect daughter who couldn't be smarter or lovelier. Dreams. Plans. New boots for chilly days. And a million other little blessings that make up this little life.

Last year, I felt defeated thinking about where I was and all I hadn't done. I'm not in that place now. Whatever happens, and whatever doesn't- it's okay.

So hello, 28. It's good to see you. I can't wait to see what you bring.


*And I can't wait to continually brag to my 30 year old husband that I'm still in my 20s and oh-so-young.

16 kind comments from you:

Jen said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have an amazing day. :)

Dani said...

Happy Birthday! Hope its a fabulous day filled with warm cider, perfect mug of tea or whatever warm beverage you desire today :) Oh, and a break from school work- ha!

JG said...

Happy Birthday :) This year is the 1st anniversary of my 27th birthday as well. You make it sounds really good :)

Lou said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope its amazing!

Kaylee said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a lovely day celebrating YOU! And yay for Fall - it's hard for me to appreciate it much yet, because it's still in the 80's here, but I DO love Fall and all the things you talked about. I agree - it's something new and brings change, and it's such a glorious change! Happy Day!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday!

Rhe Christine said...

I took quite enjoy reminding my hubby that I am still in my 20s! Although I only have about nine months left! Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Kathryn B said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!

Jenn said...

Happy birthday, fellow Fall lover!!! :)

Chantal said...

Happy Birthday! (again :) )

Michelle said...

Happy belated Birthday!! I hope you had the BEST day! :) I'm with you...Fall is my absolute favorite :)

Alissa said...

Happy-belated-birthday! What a sweet post. I love this time of year as well... It's such a time of transitions and changes; everything's new and yet about to change.

Contemplating Beauty said...

i am so glad to hear you had a good birthday hon--tell me what you did?

it's amazing to hear you are at a place of contentment and peace--it's important to hold on to this world loosely, and not cling so tightly with what's awesome or with what's not so awesome. a thankful heart is a full heart that is beautiful and well lived.

xo

beka said...

hahaha...the bragging about still being in your 20's cracks me up :)

happy birthday again!

Post a Comment