March 19, 2010

Lighter

There is a blog I recently found-actually, stumbled upon this morning-that blew me away. I had read only the most recent entry, and felt tears well up from the brief but heartbreaking post. It's from a girl whose shoes I hope I never walk in, but it needs to be read because it is reality, however painful. You can find her blog at: http://alittlepinkinaworldofcamo.blogspot.com
I plan on spending most of my weekend delving into every entry.

Until then, something much lighter. There was a quiz she had taken a year ago, and I decided to swipe it and use it for myself. So here is an unconventional post all about baby...


Name: Erika
Age: 25

Father's Name: Sky
Age: 27

Are you still together? Of course, and we will be forever. We are newlyweds!
How did you find out you were pregnant? Home pregnancy test(s)
What kind of Pregnancy test did you take? I don’t know the brand, but it was the kind with a plus sign for pregnant.
How many? I think 5 or 6 over a few days’ time…it took a lot of convincing!
What were your 1st symptoms? I had cramps and some soreness for a week or so (but nothing else that usually goes along with them).
Who did you tell first? Our parents
Who was with you when you found out? Sky was down the hall. I ran to get him, and made him look at the test to see if I was seeing it right.
My 1st reaction: After asking Sky if he was sure there was a plus sign, I felt my hands shaking and kept saying, “I need to drink more water and take another one.” Sky’s reaction was a huge smile, a kiss, and “We’re having a baby!”
How far were you when you found out? It was really soon- I guess about 4 weeks.
How did your parents react? I think they were all excited to have another grandchild, even if both sides of our family are overrun by girls!
My baby
Due Date: July 27, 2010
Do you want to know the sex? I didn’t care at first, but the closer it got, the more I needed to know!
Do you know the sex? Yep!
If so, boy or girl? It’s a girl!
Any names? Amelia Kae (Millie for short…the name Millie is in my side of the family in various forms, and Sky’s mother’s middle name is Kae).
Any Ultrasounds? Just one, at 18 weeks. It was one of the most exciting days of my life.
Have you heard the heart beat? We hear it every month at the doctor’s office, but we also bought a home monitor so we can listen anytime we want. It helped a lot in the first trimester when I would have days that I just didn’t feel pregnant.
Who do you think it will look like? I am hoping like Sky!
Will the baby have siblings? Chase and Ayden will be her big brother and sister, and they are very excited.
Have you felt the baby move? I felt a few popcorn pops around 18 weeks, but at this point (21 weeks) I feel her all throughout the day, every day. She’s strong!
Miscellaneous
Did you have morning sickness? I did through most of the first trimester, but it wasn’t really a constant thing. I’m 99% over it now!
Did you have any cravings? Chocolate milkshakes, chocolate milk, fruit, and pancakes. (And my normally beloved Italian food sounds HORRIBLE!)
Did you have any mood swings? Yep. There have been some days where everything grates on my nerves and some low days. Sky has been awesome about it though.
Are you a high risk pregnancy? Nope, thank God.
Any complications? I have GBS, which is not really uncommon, but it means antibiotics during delivery and another night in the hospital.
Formula or Breastfeeding? Breastfeeding. It’s free + it’s better for the baby + I lose weight faster.
Have you bought anything for the baby yet? No, but I really want to! So far, Sky’s mom has bought some things (including a pink Illini cheerleading outfit!) and Dad found the Smith bassinet for us.
When did you start to show? I felt like I was by 12 or 13 weeks. Other people started making comments or asking when my due date was around 18 or 19 weeks.
How long could you wear your regular clothes? I’ve had to be in maternity pants since around 13 weeks, but now I’m pretty much 100% in maternity clothes except for some longer t shirts I have. And I’ve had to put away my high heels until the fall! :(
Will you keep the baby's clothes? Definitely ‘important’ outfits like the one she’ll come home in, etc. Probably hang on to most of them until Sky and I know we’re done having babies.
Home or Hospital? Hospital…hopefully with a midwife, though.
Natural or Medicated birth? My goal is 100% natural.
Who will be in the delivery room with you? Sky, because he’ll need to hold my hand. Probably Mom, because she’s been though it naturally before. Hopefully a midwife type person to coach me through it without shots and pills!
Do you think you will need a C-section? I doubt it unless it’s an emergency.
Will you cry when you hold the baby for the 1st time? Based on tearing up during the ultrasound, I would say I will probably be bawling. It’s a pretty powerful feeling to see my daughter on a screen, let alone to be able to hold her!
What's the 1st thing you might say to the baby? “Nice to meet you, Millie.”
Will you let anyone video tape the birth? Heck no! It’s not allowed at my hospital anyway, but that sounds like the worst idea ever.
Are you excited? Mostly. I go through those days where I’m totally freaked out, but mostly I cannot wait to see our baby.
Who will help you with the baby after the birth? I think I’ll have a lot of support between our two families.
What is your favorite thing about being pregnant? Feeling her kicks and twirls, and seeing her perfect face and hands and feet in the ultrasound. She seems like a real little person now!
What is the worst thing about being pregnant? Yikes- back pain, mood swings, tiredness, and little things like not being able to take an asprin for a headache. People giving unsolicited advice or making comments on a moody day.
What's one thing you miss doing since being pregnant? Being able to sit down for a beer in downtown Champaign with friends, and staying up ‘til 2am if I feel like it.
Any days you wish you were not pregnant? Not days. There are moments where I’m really unsure, but that’s probably pretty normal, especially for a first-timer!
Are you ready for a baby? Yes in some ways, and no in some ways. I think I’ll get the knack of things once it’s time though.
Do you have insurance? Yeppers- currently through my job, but I’ll be switching to Sky’s military insurance soon.
How many kids do you want? Currently, the thought is one more after the next deployment- that’ll make 4 in the house!
Do you talk to the baby? No, and I feel guilty about it. Sky does sometimes, but I never know what to say! :)
Do you still feel attractive? Heck no. Sky still flirts with me, which is comforting. I hope I feel cute after the baby!
Have you had your baby shower yet? No. Not sure if I’ll be getting one!
Do you like kids? Well-behaved ones, like mine will be! (I think that is mostly the way they’re raised.) I love Chase and Ayden and can’t wait to meet Amelia.
How far along are you now? 21 weeks, 4 days. (I’m halfway there! Woo hoo!)

0 kind comments from you:

Post a Comment