June 11, 2011

Our Moment


Many of you already read this post when I guested for the lovely Marah at Diary of a Devil Dog Wife last week, but in case you missed it, here is Millie's latest talent. It's something every other kid in the universe does, so it may seem silly and small. But even after I tell myself that, I can't help but be proud. Meanwhile, I'm off at a farmer's market with my dad and Millie today, snapping pictures so I can show you in a later post!
The night was chaotic. Crepe paper streamers and glittering banners hung from every doorway. I was hosting a birthday party for a couple members of my family. My aunt carried in plates of delicious food while people gathered in twos and threes, kids darting between them. My nine month old daughter, Millie, sat on the floor in the middle of it all. A storm brewed outside, reminding us of its presence with an occasional clap of thunder or bright flash of lightening.
Amidst the noise and laughter, someone called to me. “Millie’s crawling!” And just like that, my heart sank.
She had been practicing motions for weeks, but hadn’t been able to propel herself forward, despite my best efforts to help her. And as a stay at home mother, I had the expectation that I would be present for all her firsts. Maybe irrational or improbable, but the thought that I may have missed such an important milestone had me choking up and very disappointed. She finally did it, and I wasn’t there. I bit my lip, and continued what I was doing in the kitchen.
When her bedtime rolled around, I picked her up and carried her off to her quiet room. She tried to scoot away from me as I pulled the ballerina-print pajamas over her head. But before I could lay her down in the crib, I put her in the middle of the room. “Okay, Millie,” I whispered, “Show me how you can crawl.”
She leaned from side to side, then pushed herself up on her chubby hands and knees. They looked coordinated for the first time as she moved a few inches. One knee forward, then the other. She moved fast, with a purpose only she knew.
I scooped her into my arms, and told her she did such a good job. Then I wrapped her up in her blankets, tucking in her stuffed monkey beside her, and turned off the light.

Maybe the first time she crawled was during the party that night. But that quiet moment will forever belong to just us two.

Photobucket

1 kind comments from you:

Kerry said...

Sweet memory...and so many more to come. Enjoy this time...(she's so cute btw)

Post a Comment