July 16, 2011

The Bravery of Fried Chicken



"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon"   H. Jackson Brown Jr.


 There are some days when you know you've earned the title of 'adult'.

Like the night a few weeks ago, when I bought a box of hair bleach. Sky was gone for two weeks, and I planned on surprising him with a platinum blond wife. But the more I studied the box, and the more I Googled, I realized that pouring that powder on my head would result in a fried heap of orange mess. I returned the box the next day. That was a good decision.

Tonight, it was the fried chicken.

Fried chicken is scary to me. There is something intimidating about hot oil bubbling a few inches from my skin. I'd tried to make do with some sort of baked "crispy" chicken before, only to be disappointed when all the crust fell off. So tonight, I found a simple recipe, took a deep breath, and decided I was going to be a big girl and try it.

I overcooked all but the last piece. And I probably should have added a bit more salt. But it was still delicious. Better than the taste, though?

The satisfaction that I was a grown-up who made scary food and lived to tell the tale.

5 kind comments from you:

Jillian said...

I'm definitely scared of cooking anything fried. Your chicken looks like it turned out perfectly! great accomplishment.

Ashley S. said...

Haha! I have moments like this ALL the time. I still have yet to fry chicken, because frying bacon has left me with so many battle scars! LOL! But, I do know what you mean, its the little things that solidify your "grown up" status more than buying a house or successfully managing your finances ever could! :)

Bravo on the chicken! You are more of a woman than I! :)

Melissa said...

OH my goodness I love fried chicken and yours looks delicious! I am definitely going to try my hand at some soon. and thanks for making me hungry :)

Kayti said...

I applaud you and your very grown-up domesticity :) It looks delicious & I know the spunk it takes to even attempt such a dish (more spunk than I possess-- yet!) Way to go!

beka said...

hah, i LOVE the first line.

whoa. for a second there, i thought you were holding out on us for pictures posted of platinum blond. ;) i'd be scared too. not everyone can be brave like this: http://www.danielleburkleo.com/2011/06/in-case-you-havent-heard-enough-about.html
[though that's not the whole head like some people do. take Model Lady for instance. :D]

simple recipes are the best--and it looks delicious!!!
psh, i undersalt all the freaking time. the family says it's either feast or famine for me and salt's relationship. :P i disagree on half the accounts. hahah.

Post a Comment