May 3, 2012

The Catch-Up Post

What a week it has been. So many things have happened and will happen soon, I hardly know where to start. I feel like I usually write about the small pieces of our lives...so here is an update on the larger parts.

I begin a new job tomorrow. It's a small job, but it could be so helpful to our family if it works out. I'll blog more on it later. It's definitely good news, but I happened to find out on Monday that I had strep throat. The antibiotic they gave me was a lot harder to handle than the strep, and I'm just praying I feel well tomorrow.

We've gotten interesting military news lately. Sky was told, after months of hoping otherwise, that he'll still owe the Army thousands of dollars- because he left the Guard for a failed PT run (by a measly 17 seconds, by the way), they say he technically broke his contract even though he reenlisted right away in the Reserves. It's complicated, and nonsense in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't matter to the Army. Because of this, we don't even see most of his drill pay. The good news is that he recently discovered he is still being payed as a single soldier with no dependents even though I registered in DEERs as soon as we got married. When/if they ever correct this, he should have some back pay coming, and even if that all goes to his Army debt, it's still a good thing.

Anyhow, it makes his upcoming PT test all the more important. He has it in a couple weeks, and needs to pass it all. The second he told me when it was, I knew my head would be swimming until it's over. This PT test means staying in the Reserves, going to AT soon, going to his new MOS school later this year, etc. It's everything. (If you pray, please keep this in your prayers.)

Also military related, there has been a lot of feathers ruffled in the milspouse blogging world this week. While I still don't understand why, I know that I've had to distance myself from a couple people. It hurt- a lot, actually. I'm not practiced at conflict like that. But other friendships have grown even stronger through it, and I appreciate all the kind comments, emails, and Facebook messages I've gotten from you all. I spent the first part of the week in tears, but I'm trying to wrap the week up knowing I have amazing friends, even though some of them are scattered all over the country. That's one of the best things about blogging.

And finally, school still hasn't happened. After armfuls of paperwork, I was awarded a Pell grant- for the spring semester, which has already ended. I had to fill out everything all over again for summer classes, and haven't gotten any news back yet. I've done all I can do on my end, and it's frustrating being at the mercy of this college.

This post has sounded really low, and honestly, that's just how life's been lately. But there are good things, too- there always are.

My dad brought over cough drops for me, as well as some beautiful Gerber daisies and what he liked calling "clearance cake". Feeling bad physically and emotionally, it was just what the doctor ordered. Thanks, Dad.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The other good thing? Millie, of course. Her vocabulary is growing too fast for me to keep up, and she's parroting everything we say. I love our conversations and the silliness she brings to my days. I am so very thankful for that sweet baby.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So that's that. What a long post! If you made it to the end, thanks for sticking with me. How about I make it up to you with some free business cards or delicious cake

And speaking of making it up to you- I reached 200 likes on my Facebook page, so I'll be celebrating with a giveaway of my own after these have finished. I've been finding little things to add to it for weeks, so I'm pretty excited about it!

16 kind comments from you:

Anne said...

What a sweet sweet face! Your clearance cake looks delicious... And if it's just what the doctor ordered, all the better. Keep your head up, it sounds like you have a lot of support from a wonderful family!

Good luck on your new job :)

Lou said...

Hope you start feeling better. Im so sorry again about the how that all turned out, i still feel we did the right thing. Hope work tommorow is amazing!!

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I am so sorry you feel that you had to distance yourself. One thing you can always count on is that military spouses will have a very vocal opinion ;-)

Yay on the job, boo on the strep :-( I used to get strep until I got my tonsils out and I lived on sucrets...gosh that metal box brings back so many memories.

Erin said...

Been there with the non-existent military paychecks. When DH was in the USAR, they determined that he owed money {for God only knows what]. His paychecks were ridiculously low - $38 or so. We didn't even count on them. I don't know if that will carry over to the USAFR, but we'll see! Keeping my fingers crossed that he does well on his PT test and gets school dates soon!

Fran said...

I'll definitely been sending good vibes your way - so you'll feel better and so Sky will pass his test! I'm sure you'll be great in the new job, I just know it :)

Love you friend, don't ever forget that! <3

The New Normal said...

My friend, you have been and will continue to be in my prayers! And Sky too! Congrats on your job, even small jobs make a huge difference! I hope that you are feeling better soon though.
The Army said they overpaid my husband when he came home from AT and we had a debt for a while. Of course it was at the same time that he had surgery because of an injury at AT (which they should have fixed before he ever came home) and he couldn't work his regular job for quite a while. So we had no regular paycheck, a debt to the Army and were fighting to get his LOD taken care of so the Army would pay him while he was recovering. Whew, what a mess! But it did work out in the end and I pray that your situation does too! I love how they are quick to demand their money back, but so incredibly slow when it is the other way around!
Your dad is so sweet :) And love the Millie photos! So silly :)

Amanda said...

Good ole Army for you. I will be definitely keeping you and Sky in my thoughts. You to feel better and him to ace the test. :) Aren't dads the best?? Mine is always there when I need him.. and I am sooo thankful. P.s. Millie is a cutie, as always!

Kaylee said...

I'll be praying for you guys. That stinks about owing money and not having been able to do school. Praying it all works out the way it's supposed to. Hope your new job goes well today, can't wait to hear about it.

Karen @ And Then We Laughed said...

Best of luck with everything in the coming weeks. No matter what happens, be sure to focus on the positive and work hard. It is amazing where attitude can get you in life. I love the second to last picture of Millie - absolutely adorable!

Chantal said...

Sounds like it wasn't an easy week! I hope everything gets better and starts coming together.

Allison said...

I've been away all week because of our move and not having internet at our new place yet. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm sorry you've had a rough week. Being sick is no fun but it's a good thing you have a sweet dad close by to take care of you!

____j said...

Praying for y'all! I hope everything works out for the best! & Hope you're feeling much better now :)

Contemplating Beauty said...

oooh a new job? Can't wait to hear about it!

so sorry about the strep, oh i hope it passes for you quickly...
i forget, what are you in school for? I guess i forget you are!

and i am sorry that is a total STITCH about that cake, I know JUST the kind of cakes he is talking about, LOL love it!

sweet dad btw..

and oh millie, you make me SMILE.

beka said...

aw, your dad brought you clearance cake. that's adorable.
i would love some cake right now. sounds divine. :P shoot. no cake in the house.

that lil' darling of yours is getting sweeter in every picture you post!

Kristi said...

Lol! Gotta love "clearance cake"! I see a few clearance cakes in my future. :)

Allison said...

Hey- I just stopping by from the hop! Your Millie is tres adorable! I can't wait to start following your adventures. And I'll be thinking good thoughts for Sky and his PT test. He'll pass for sure! Nice to meet you! ~Allison (at Keep Calm and Soldier On)

Post a Comment