December 30, 2013

To Sum It Up



Here's the thing.

I wasn't going to write another post this year. I felt that all my 2013 words had been used already, and I've come to realize I'm not great with New Year's. I wish I could pick one word or mantra for next year's theme, or make a long list of goals, or join a gym and eat more lettuce. But I feel like change is too uncomfortable to me for it to happen suddenly. I want things to be different- Lord knows, I do- but I want them to come in their own time. Organically. If any of that makes sense. It probably doesn't, because I'm sick and generally lacking sleep.

But Jenn (aka "Korea Jenn") tagged me on her post. And I would do just about anything for for Korea Jenn, because that lady is one of only two or three bloggers that can make me shoot tea through my nose from laughing so hard.

And then, I was going to write it, but not for a few more days. Until I realized tomorrow is the last day of this year.

So there you have it. My apologies on a last minute, hastily and reluctantly written post. Blame Jenn.
What were your highlights of 2013?
  • You probably were not aware of this, but on June 29 of this year, there was a little boy born. His name is Walter, and I like him. He's like the son I never had. But I did. I remember that part quite vividly.
  • Millie turned three, and we learned the terrible twos were actually so mild, peaceful, and sweet, and it'd be super to get those back. However, she's doing much better now, and I love her to bits. Her vocabulary continues to astound everyone she meets.
  • Sky was gone for 4 1/2 months for various Army things (in addition to drill days). He got a new MOS and a new civilian job.
  • I completed my second full time semester of school, and stopped yet again when Walter was born. I miss it, but I don't regret it. I know it'll always be there waiting for me.
  • I still didn't finish the same dang book I've been reading for over one year now. Motherhood has changed me in ways like selecting a swimsuit that won't startle everyone and longing to go to bed at 8pm, but for some reason, I didn't expect reading time to dwindle so much. I have to remind myself that I'll get it back in a few years, and that it's just as sweet to read Go, Dog. Go! for the 729th time.



    • We moved a block down the street. I was reminding how much I hate unpacking the kitchen.
    • Walter's surgery. Scariest day of my life.
    • It was time to say goodbye to Facebook, and now that I'm gone, it seems even worse than MySpace because at least you had a song to explain your emotions. Facebook people just use too many exclamation points. And misspelled words.
    • I spent almost exactly half of this year pregnant, taking care of Millie on my own (while Sky was gone), and going to school full time, and then the next half with a newborn and a toddler. Both were hard in different ways.
    • We never grilled out this year and I mourned the lack of burnt hot dogs.

    Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    This was my post last year. I think this year will be the same. No resolutions. Just hope.

    Did anyone close to you give birth?
    It seems like everyone I know had a baby this year, especially my blog friends. I'd have to say that I was most excited about Walter's.


    Did anyone close to you die?
    No, thank goodness.

    What countries did you visit?
    Way to rub it in! No traveling this year. But England, I will see you someday.

    What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn't have in 2013?
    A rock solid marriage.

    What dates from 2013 will be etched upon your memory, and why? 
    Walter's birth, first and foremost. I remember every second from that day, and the day before. Other memories aren't contained to one day, but I have some lovely ones. I'm glad my mom was able to visit when he was born. I'm glad for every kiss Millie gave him. I'm glad for all the afternoons of whatever spent out with my dad. I'm glad for the friends I've gotten closer to this year.


    What was your biggest achievement of this year?
    I know it's getting tiring to read, "having a baby". But it ain't easy, let me tell you. So that. Because I did it, and because I got to meet him.

    What was your biggest failure?
    Hmm. There were probably too many to count. Probably losing my patience with Millie. Now that we've settled into a family of four, it's been much better for all of us, I think.

    What's the best thing you ate?
    Oh gosh. Everything my mom cooked while she was here. And after that, when my dad took me out for steak at Texas Roadhouse, because it was amazing and I don't even like steak very much. And Nutella?

    What's the best thing you bought?
    The first thing that came to mind was a new Kitchenaid spatula to replace a dying plastic dollar store one. And that's pretty sad, but I'm sticking with it.

    What did you get really, really, really excited about? 
    The spatula, apparently. Because I've already said too much about a certain baby, I'll just say the little things. 

    What do you wish you'd done more of?
    Laughed.

    Compared to this time last year, are you: a) richer or poorer? b) happier or sadder? c) thinner or fatter?
    a- I'll steal Jenn's answer and say richer in the ways that matter. 

    b- yes.
    c- I adore this question because I was pregnant last year, so thinner, darling!

    Did you fall in love in 2013?
    With a 8 lb 10 oz little nugget.




    What was your favorite TV program?
    Recently, it's been Modern Family, but this year goes to Arrested Development.

    How did you spend Christmas?
    Quietly. I made brunch.

    What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
    I turned 29. Craziness. I ate leftover Chinese food and bought a pair of cute boots at a consignment shop.

    How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2013?
    "Do these yoga pants come in multiple colors?"

    What kept you sane?
    Millie and Walter, hands down. And God, ultimately. There were a few times where I felt like that's all I had, and a few other times where I felt like that's all I needed.

    Tell me a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.

    Don't lean on earthly things. Any part of it can disappear. Trust in something bigger than all those. 


    ********
    I'm tagging a few lovely ladies, but anyone who wants to join in (last minute!) is welcome. I'd love to read more answer from you all!

    - Kaylee from Max & Kaylee
    - Ash from love{dot}lulu
    - Fran from Free Borboleta
    - Michelle from Mish Mash
    - Erinn from It's the Journey

    To sum it up: 2013, you've had some of the best and worst moments of my life.
    2014, be kind.

    8 kind comments from you:

    Birdie said...

    Like the son you never had bahaha. Happy New Year to all you Ps! I totally agree with you about changes taking place organically. I hope they do and in your favor.

    Jenn said...

    First of all, THANK YOU for doing this. I so wanted to read your answers. :) Secondly, you need a scrolling comment box so I can jot my thoughts down as I'm reading your posts. ;) Thirdly, a good spatula can make or break your whole cooking experience, but there is something about chucking a dollar tree spatula that just feels wrong if it's not fully defective and ready for the trash. I am still using my Korean dollar tree spatula and despise it. Ready for it to be accidentally left on a hot pan for too long. ;) And fourthly, I love your 2013 life lesson. Hope you have the happiest of new years. And never leave instagram because I will probably have some debilitating Walter withdrawals. :)

    Nicole said...

    I also hope you find great joy in 2014. Have a happy new year!

    Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

    Happy almost New Year Erika. Thank you for this post. I do so miss reading your blog...

    Erinn said...

    I'm doing this when I get home tomorrow :)
    I really believe you to be truly amazing. An incredible year in so many good ( and a few not so good) ways... but incredible all the same.

    Jen said...

    You write with such honestly, I love your entries even if they are sometimes sad. :/ Walter and Millie are adorable. I hope 2014 is a little better. :)

    Anonymous said...

    There is so much that is familiar to me here. Wishing you much joy and good health in 2014!

    Michelle said...

    "Do those yoga pants come in multiple colors?" THE BEST. I love this post so much. Hoping for a much better year for you and all of us.

    Post a Comment