March 23, 2011

Knock Knock Thud

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; 
probably because generally they are the same people.
 G.K. Chesterton

I dislike my neighbors. I don't actually know them, to be fair. But I strongly dislike their habits of staying up until 2am every morning, their booming, seemingly polka-style music, their constant television watching, and their elephant-like feet that stop and pound the ceiling with every step. They seem to forget that they live in a building full of other people besides polka-loving elephants.

My mama taught me say nice things or nothing at all. So I wrote them a little note instead (kinder than this post, by the way), asking them to be considerate of their neighbors and keep their volume at a lower level than a rocket launch site. (I worded it a bit differently.)

I've had sweet neighbors in the past. One came over with homemade strawberry bread. Another came by with store bought chocolate chip cookies. Some had cute, friendly pets. Once I lived above a couple who fought constantly, and while I didn't appreciate the noise, at least I could enjoy the weird soap opera they enacted.

I was content that they had received my note and would cease and desist their booming, when Sky informed me that although the stomping came from the upstairs, but the thunderous television actually came from next door.

Who lives next door? Not raucous college students on a weekend party spree, or a wild family, or a rioting gang- an old man lives next door.

I felt alternately guilty and annoyed. Sky asked if I regretted the note to the upstairs tenants. "Nope," I replied, "because they still stomp everywhere and slam everything, and that's still rude." We turned off the light and were lying still in the soft darkness. And then- there it was, the polka (now, more of a techno) beat pounding through several walls diving us and the elderly man. And while I could appreciate that his hearing is probably sub-par, it did not ease my irritation at 1:30 in the morning. Another note printed off, I grabbed my robe, marched out in the cold air to the next door, and tapped it firmly beside his door number.

It was quiet last night. I am crossing my fingers it will be again tonight.
Those older gentleman need to let a young thing like me get some sleep!


Photobucket

4 kind comments from you:

Steph said...

Our neighbors suck too! I want to move to the country.

Michelle said...

Oh, neighbor troubles are so hard! I feel bad for the old guy especially if his hearing is going, but you need your sleep. We've had a hit or miss luck with neighbors - crappy neighbors in DC followed by excellent neighbors here. Except their outside dogs that are constantly barking. It drives us up the wall. Fortunately the dogs can hear well and if we yell at them while laying in bed they usually shut up for a few hours.

beka said...

Ohh man, sounds like some lively neighbors! And at 1:30am? I'd leave them a note too....
It's been a long time--20 years-- since Mom and Dad lived in an apartment; just married, with a sweet older couple living next door whom we knew and visited and loved like grandparents until they died. :( Good memories; hope you get better neighbors sometime!!

Mrs. H said...

Hahaha!!! An older man?? I actually think my husband and I are the loud neighbors. We're working on it. :)

Post a Comment